History

History

We have years of experience caring for families, from all walks of life. Each family comes to us because they know we are leaders in our profession, dedicated to excellence in service, and have the highest integrity.

Our History

The history of Phillips Memorial Home is long and expansive. It reaches back to 1898, when an existing undertaking service, W.L. Cubley Furniture and Undertaking, was purchased by the founder’s son, W.H. Cubley and one of the firm’s employees, James L. Phillips. At that point, the funeral home was renamed the W.H. Cubley Co.

On November 15, 1915, James L. Phillips purchased his partner’s interest and the Funeral Home became known as J.L. Phillips Undertaking. The funeral home operated out of a building on Main Street, re-locating to its current location in 1941.

In 1936, J.L. Phillips oldest son, James W. Phillips, graduated from the Simmons School of Embalming, and joined his father in the firm.

On a side note; it wasn’t until June of 1918 that Phillips Memorial Home purchased its first motorized hearse. Prior to this, our funeral home had its own team of horses, and a carriage hearse, rigged on the morning of a funeral. Today, we are still proud to have our first horse drawn funeral carriage as our company logo & trademark. One of our horse drawn hearse's has been donated to the Massena Museum for the community to view.

In 1972 James W. Phillips and his wife hired a Massena Native, David A. Frary to serve as a resident Funeral Director. David continued under the guidance of Mr. Phillips, until his death on April 17, 1978.

At that time, David purchased both Massena and Waddington Locations from Mrs. Phillips, and still continues to provide the highest quality of funeral service in the area.



Our Madrid Funeral Home

Our Madrid Funeral Home was founded in 1907 by the late Fay G. Mann and wife Maude. The Fay G. Mann Funeral Home was operated by its founder until their daughter; Mrs. Leon (Emma) Goolden, took over the business after her father’s death in 1947.

Mrs. Goolden continued her father’s traditions in the community of Madrid until 1967, when she sold the family firm to her son, Charles, and his wife, Linda. In 1986, David and Linda Frary purchased the Fay G. Mann Funeral Home, and we’re proud to be a part of the dedicated services that generations of the Mann family have provided to the area for over 100 years.

The Phillips Memorial Home, Madrid location has been a funeral service provider not only to the town of Madrid but also to our neighbors in Chase Mills, Lisbon, Potsdam and Morley areas.



Our Waddington Funeral Home

Our Waddington Funeral Home is located along the majestic St. Lawrence River which marks New York’s Northern Border with Canada. Its staff has provided quality care to its area residence for over 111 years.

Contact Us

OK

Loading...